'Physician's' Weight Loss


As a girl always looking to see how others are losing weight, I stumbled across Physician’s Weight Loss Center. A body fat analysis was free so I made an appointment. Maybe it was my naiveté I fully expected to go on for an analysis and that’s it. What I received was a free consultation, which included a body fat analysis. Greeted by the office manager (a graduate of the program) boasting about her 55lb lost, I was given a booklet of forms to fill out which asked for everything short of my DNA strip. Finally, I’m lead back into the room where I’m asked to step on the scale—the scale would read my body fat and hydration levels, oh joy, same technology I have at home. 20 body fat points higher than my at home scale, the consultation began.

The Physician’s Weight Loss Center (PWLC) offers a pocket full of weight loss programs based on the amount of weight you would like to lose. My goal weight is 179. I’m 5’11. According to the chart that was shoved in my face, I should be at 132-162 for my height. Huh? These are the lowest numbers I’d ever seen. I want to be healthy and still be meaty; my husband demands such. I have no interested in being tall and lanky nor do I have an interest in having my husband break out a magnifying glass to find the curves. I’m not planning on auditioning for America’s Next Top Model, so those numbers just won’t do. Where is the physician?

The next shocker comes when I’m informed of the recommended meal plan…of…wait for it…wait for it…1,000 calories. Do not adjust your eyes, you read it correctly. Yes, 1,000 calories and included in those 1,000 are supplements (snack bars, soups, pretzels etc.) I must purchase for the center. Are you kidding me? I was even more shocked when the office manager informed me that she was only taking in 600 calories—A DAY! Everyone knows, taking in anything less than 1,200 calories is not healthy and in fact will cause you to lose weight, but not body fat, with a calorie intake that low, you are losing muscle mass. Seems she was reading my mind, because the next thing out of her mouth was—and I quote “you will lose some muscle tone, but it will come back over time.” How, I thought? Since nowhere in this program was exercise mentioned. My muscle tone was not going to come back miraculously. Maybe they have muscle tone returns supplement in one of their little boxes. Again, where is the physician?

Guys, it gets better. We are now talking cost. It has been decided for my 30lb lost; I should be on an active program for three months and then move into maintenance for a period of up to a year. The active part of my plan would cost me $850, which includes my before and after pics (I have my own digital camera), and a consultation with the ‘physician’. $850 for three months, this explained why they wanted to get me to a lower goal weight as they are paid by the length of time I’m actively losing weight. My brain checked out on maintenance price. Where is the door?

I sincerely believe people should do whatever they need to do to get healthy. I’m sure this option has worked for many people as the common placed weight loss image of a thin person standing in too large jeans depiction implies. This plan would not be a viable option for me as there is no way I could sustain myself on 1,000 calories. I would eat everything I sight and there is no way I would pay them for the privilege to starve me under the guise of a ‘physician’s’ weight loss.

In the words of m
y little sister, weight loss is free. Touché little sister. Touché.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 

Label Cloud